Get to know StudioGC’s architectural firm one employee at a time. Continue reading to learn more about our Assistant Studio Director Athi Toufexis!
1. How long have you been with StudioGC?
2. What projects are you currently working on?
Evanston Township High School, Queen Bee School District 16, Arbor Park School District 145, St. Bede Academy, and West Aurora School District 129
3. Before working at StudioGC, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve had?
A few times I taught religious iconography painting classes. It was something I used to do in high school when I had more time and even won a few competitions with some of my work.
4. What is the one thing you cannot do without?
5. What is your favorite project you have worked on?
Tough question; they are all fun and interesting for various reasons. The most recent project to come to mind is the new Hill Elementary School for West Aurora SD 129. Designing a new building for a school that has been in the community since a few years after the civil war is a challenge in and of itself; planning for construction to occur on a limited site while the existing building remains operational for a full school year adds another layer of complexity. It’s exciting to anticipate the faces and reactions of the students, staff, and community when they first enter the new building next year.
6. What is the TV show you never miss?
Homeland and Game of Thrones
7. What is playing in your car now?
Chicago’s very own, Chance the Rapper
8. Are you messy or organized?
My work area is what I like to refer to as an ‘organized mess’.
9. If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
10. What is the best vacation you’ve ever had?
Probably the last time my whole family was able to go to Greece together.
11. If you could have 1 wish granted, what would it be?
Sounds cliche, but world peace and acceptance.
12. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
I’d find a new village and transplant all my family and friends to one place, all within walking distance. As long as it’s not in a freezing extreme of the world, I’d be ok with most anywhere that is.
13. What is your favorite holiday?
14. What was the first concert you went to see?
15. An activity I’ve never done, but want to is:
Hike the Grand Canyon
16. Are you a morning or night person?
Most definitely a night person
17. What is your favorite restaurant to go to?
18. What do you think the greatest invention is in your lifetime?
Smartphone. While it can be a blessing and a curse, the ability to have so many resources/tools available at your fingertips is remarkable.
19. If you are not at StudioGC, what are you most likely doing?
Something outdoors or watching the Bulls in the winter.
20.What is the best advice you have ever been given?
You don’t need luck, you’ve got the skills. ~My dad