Get to know StudioGC’s architectural firm one employee at a time. Continue reading to learn more about our Senior Specifications Manager James Cross!
1. How long have you been with StudioGC?
3 years total.
2. What projects are you currently working on?
Almost every project that we put out for bid.
3. Before working at StudioGC, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve had?
I made chain link fencing for a few summers when I was in college. (unusual, but not necessarily interesting after the first day or two)
4. What is the one thing you cannot do without?
5. What is your favorite project you have worked on?
Naperville Community Concert Center. It’s an indoor rehearsal space/outdoor performance facility that my old firm did, and I’ve continued to use it as a member of the Naperville band. The down side is that I continue to see the things that I’d like to have done differently.
6. What is the TV show you never miss?
Currently, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Doc Martin, House of Cards
7. What is playing in your car now?
Generally, a recorded book for long road trips
8. Are you messy or organized?
9. If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
Nobody else – I’m kind of happy being me.
10. What is the best vacation you’ve ever had?
Any of the family driving vacations that our family took. The forced togetherness in the car made the trips memorable.
11. If you could have 1 wish granted, what would it be?
That we could all get along
12. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
I think it would be fun to live in Italy for a while, but having lived overseas for my senior year of college, I learned that I’m pretty much of a homebody and that I appreciate living permanently in the US.
13. What is your favorite holiday?
14. What was the first concert you went to see?
Ozark Mountain Daredevils; Champaign, Illinois, around 1975 – Really
15. An activity I’ve never done, but want to is:
For a while I wanted to get a private pilot license. I took lessons and solo’d, but found that I didn’t have the time, money, or most importantly, the desire to finish it up.
16. Are you a morning or night person?
17. What is your favorite restaurant to go to?
I like going to “Supper Clubs” in northern Wisconsin. My wife and I try to go to a new one each time we go north. The food is secondary; the environment and ambiance are what make them memorable.
18. What do you think the greatest invention is in your lifetime?
Advancements in medical diagnostics and treatments.
19. If you are not at StudioGC, what are you most likely doing?
Either up at the lake or playing trumpet someplace
20.What is the best advice you have ever been given?
If you’re leaving a place of employment (for whatever reason), don’t slam the door behind you – you might want to go back through that door someday.